Healthy gums are pink and firm. They adhere to the teeth without pocketing or bulging. You probably have unhealthy gums if you notice angry redness or teeth that appear elongated due to recession.
Bleeding gums, especially when brushing and flossing, are another sign of gum infection.
Tips for healthy gums:
- Brush and floss daily, preferably after every meal or at least twice.
- See your Lincoln, NE, dentists every six months for checkups and teeth cleanings.
- Wear a custom mouthguard if you’re into competitive athletics.
- Report any oral health changes to the dentist sooner rather than later.
- Add nuts, water, sugar-free gum, and low-fat yogurt to your diet.
Your gums support your teeth and keep them in place, but specific gum conditions like periodontal disease can also put your physical health at risk. In studies, periodontal disease has been linked to:
- Heart issues
- Lung issues
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Low birth weight
Visit Your Dentist in Lincoln, NE
Checkups allow your dentist to catch gum disease in the reversible gingivitis stage. And teeth cleanings significantly lower gum disease risks and keep your smile healthy.
To arrange your next dental visit or if you have additional questions about gum health in Lincoln, give Antelope Creek Family Dentistry a call today.